Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Welcome to the 4/12 Infantry blog

. . . which is meant to be a sort of on-line beacon to help former unit members find each other.

The general idea here is to establish a free-standing unit page that includes peoples' names, so that it won't be so hard to locate veterans on the web.

I don't plan to run this as your usual web diary, chat room or on-line historical record. In fact, I'm just volunteering to be the link man for the moment, perhaps until someone with more time in the organisation expresses an interest. After all, I was with the unit for only six months or so after 1/39 Inf was redesignated as 4/12 Inf in 1989. Those of you who were there in Baumholder at the time may want to have a look at this blog's sister site (http://www.1-39inf.blogspot.com/).

Anyway, from time to time I'll post a name, place or event that I remember. If you send me your name, I'll post it, and if you're looking for someone, let me know. Likewise, feel free to send me reminders -- for example, names lifted from orders and/or unit rosters would be very handy.

Obviously, the more info I can put online the better your chances of finding someone or being found yourself; however, for the moment, at least, I don't plan to post email addresses without express permission. I'll keep a record offline and will act as a go-between where necessary to put people back in touch.

For the present, I'll watch for comms in the comments. That'll change soon, I'm sure, once the spammers and trolls come out, but for now let's run with the comments.

Looking to the future, my preference is to hand this blog over to someone who spent a couple of years in the unit. Depending on interest, I plan to keep the blog alive for a year or so and will decide whether to keep it going at that point.

Over. . . .

Matt Ginn
4/12 Inf (M)
8th ID (M)
Baumholder FRG
1989

p.s. add your name to the roster now!

2 Comments:

Blogger mhg said...

Test comment -- thought I'd just adjust the squelch, set the freq and enter the net.

7:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for signining my guestbook and welcome aboard. I like what you have done here and next time we have a reunion I will invite you and any friends you have take care amigo
Arriba Y Adelante

2:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home