Monday, April 09, 2007

1/39 Inf and 4/12 Inf -- Baumholder FRG

Once again, a very brief blog entry to get a couple of names down for the record:

LT Grant Jacoby
LT Mike Ablowich
Both of these gentlemen were there for the redesignation from 1/39 Inf (M).

Grant was already in Germany when I arrived, suffering a badly broken leg after a rhinoceros-charge collision with Deane Shephard during a battalion "soccer" match. As I recall, Grant eventually became the Adjutant, married a girl from Luxembourg and came back to Germany where I met him again in 1991 taking a course with Boston University Overseas Programs up in Frankfurt . . . back in the days when the Army was still there in force (it pains me to write that). Last time I heard news of Grant he was still on active duty as an LTC teaching at USMA circa 2004.

Mike continues to travel the world managing government finance (including a stint with the US Treasury advising in Russia, and very senior positions in the New Hampshire state government). He's presently in Africa as a highly-placed advisor. I could write more but please search Google and see for yourself -- it's a very impressive resume.

My word! How many days and kilometers since our days in H D Smith Barracks in Baumholder?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home